Check out Dr. Wrightson on Fox 11! She talks about five immunity-boosting foods to enjoy as the cold weather sets in. You can even try these delicious recipes below which incorporate some of the ingredients featured in the segment. Here's to your health!
Creamy Squash Soup
Winter squash makes a deliciously smooth soup with no cream necessary!
4 large winter squashes (any variety)
4 T maple syrup; plus 2 T
1 medium onion
1 small apple, cut in half
2 cloves garlic
1 Pablano pepper
1-4 T olive oil
½ c almond butter
½ t nutmeg
¼ t ginger
1 t cinnamon
2 T soy sauce
Pepper to taste
1. Pre-heat the oven to 425 degrees. Cut squash in half and scoop out seeds. Add 1/2 T maple syrup to each half of the squash. Cut onion in quarters. Cut top off garlic. Put squash, onion, apple, garlic and pepper on a roasting pan and coat with 1-2 T olive oil, adding salt and pepper to taste.
2. Put in oven for approximately 45 minutes, turning onion, pepper and garlic several times. The vegetables should be tender and darkened when done.
3. Remove vegetables from the oven and let cool. Pour maple syrup from squash in food processor. Scoop meat out of the squash; discard stem and seeds from pepper and apple. Add all veggies to the food processor with remaining maple syrup.
4. Add almond butter to the processor and blend on high until smooth consistency, adding water if necessary. Add nutmeg, ginger, cinnamon, soy sauce, olive oil, salt and pepper. Blend until creamy. Put soup in pot on stove until bubbly. Serve. Makes 6 servings.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
Yield: 6 servings
Per serving: Calories 379, Protein 7g. Fat 15g, Carbohydrate 60g, Fiber 3g, Cholesterol 0mg
Hummus with a Twist
You can make so many varieties of this hummus, keeping everyone in the family happy!
2 cans white beans, drained and rinsed, reserving some of the juice
3-4 cloves of garlic
2 t salt
1/4 cup tahini
1 cup lemon juice (or substitute 1/2 cup water and 1/2 cup vinegar)
1. Add garlic and salt to mortar and pestle. Mash until paste-like.
2 Put all ingredients in food processor and blend until whipped and creamy.
3. Serve with pita bread, veggies or on top of salad greens.
To make varieties of hummus, add any of the following to the food processor:
1 roasted red pepper
2 T fresh dill
1 roasted jalapeno pepper
10-15 kalamata olives
1/4 cup sun dried tomatoes
Prep time: 10 minutes
Yield: 2 c hummus
Per serving (approximately 1/4 c): kcal 190, protein 9g, fat 7g, carb 24g, fiber 6g, cholesterol 0 mg